Thursday, April 12, 2018

DIY Marble Look Serving Tray

You all know how I am all about "using what I have".






Well...when we redid the bathroom, there were a few of these pretty 12 x 18 tiles left.

I knew that one would make a lovely oversized serving tray.




I checked out retail stores to get some ideas.  These looked the way I envisioned the tray I wanted.



As you can see....the prices were all over the place.  But I figured I could make one cheaper than even the least expensive one....and....I already had the tile just sitting around.

I looked for tutorials for doing a project like this.
House of Wood 
has a nice one......pretty much exactly what I wanted to do.

I bought some drawer pulls at Home Depot.....I got out the tile....and then I made my FIRST mistake!

I asked Mr. S for advice about the type of glue that would be best and if we had something around home that would work.

Mr. S:  Why wouldn't you actually drill the holes and screw the handles in?
Me: Sounds like a lot of work and I don't really want this to be a big deal.
Mr. S: I would be happy to do it.
Me: Go For It!


The tray is absolutely beautiful!

Now....for the other side of the story!

Drilling porcelain tile is a b***h!
It took more than a couple of hours and several destroyed drill bits to finish the project!

So.....my almost free tray actually ended up costing as much as the least expensive retail one!!!

Oh well....to quote Mr. S:  "at least now you don't have to worry about the handles coming off when you are carrying something."

And....I have a really pretty tray and one less leftover tile!



 Have A Great Day!







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...